20030707: Problem with Sirocco required reboot

>From: Robert Leche <address@hidden>

Bob,

>A problem with Sirocco required rebooting. Looks like a system memory
>leak is plaguing Sirocco requiring a restart every 4-5 days. Sirocco is
>currently using RH7.3. I believe this an OS, XFree86 problem.

We have not experienced system memory leak problems on our RedHat 7.3
systems.  We do, however, see that the free memory listed in 'free' or
'top' apparently drops to zero.  We believe hat the OS is using free
memory as a disk cache, but will give it up when needed.  This doesn't
seem to affect swap space.

What exactly are you seeing?

>This being
>the case, look for Sirocco's OS to be upgraded to possibly version 9 as
>I have heard it is very stable. I am open to suggestions on OS versions.

We are not yet running RedHat 9 in-house here at the UPC, so we would
not be able to help you with problems if/when they occur under this OS.

Tom