20021213: Anybody have update on linux/*bsd platforms? (cont.)

>From: Dave Glowacki <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

>> The other thing that has me very interested in FreeBSD is that the
>> BSD kernel is running under MacOS.
>
>To be pedantic, MacOS X is running on a Mach microkernel with a
>FreeBSD networking stack and a largely FreeBSD userland.  This
>means that while the kernel isn't FreeBSD, OS X looks like
>FreeBSD from the API and command line levels.

I very much appreciate the correct description of what MacOS is
and isn't.  This will be helful as I muddle along :-)

>But I agree that Mac OS X is a VERY interesting system ... Apple's
>only had OS X out for a couple of years and they've already managed
>to ship more Unix systems than any other Unix vendor.

Russ Rew has a MacOS-X laptop that is sweet.  Too bad he takes it home
so much!

>I've been trying to figure out how to get an OS X system on my
>desk at work :-)

I have been in the market for a new system for home for quite some time
(forever, really).  If the prices were more competetive, I would go
the Apple route.  It is hard, however, to ignore the deals that Sony
has going for desktop/workstation machines:  2.4 Ghz P4, 0.5 GB RAM,
80 GB HD, DVD-RW (!), CD-RW, CD, memory stick, 6 USB 2.0 ports, etc.
all for $1200 (Sony web site: $1199.99 + 1 cent shipping).  This is
hard to beat!

Thanks for the correction.

Tom