20020320: thelma hardware (cont.)

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Robert,

>Is the new server a 280R or V880, or is it another
>E420R?

It is definitely not an E 450.  I am not sure if is either of the other
two or not.  Mike told me that Sun was having a special and that the
machine could accommodate 8 GB of RAM, a fact that is important in a
heavily loaded IDD relay machine.

>I will just be curious of your experiences
>after you get it running if it's one of the new
>USIII machines.

I am lost here, but I will let you know our experiences when the new
box gets installed.  Even if we don't replace thelma, we will be
replacing a similar Intel-based machine at the NSF offices in DC.  We
are aiming to upgrade that machine to one that will ingest all 4
NOAAPORT channels and then act as a primary IDD injection site.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Mar 20 19:49:00 2002

If it holds 8GB then it is likely a 280R (a rackmount verson
of the Blade 1000 you already have)...  Sounds like Sun isn't dead at
Unidata yet.  I have been rather impressed with the little Blade 100,
it sounds slow at 500Mhz, but for $995 (plus 3rd party RAM)
it performs quite well.

I'll be curious to see how it performs.

Thanks,
Robert