20011024: RedHat 7.2 requires >= 96 MB to run X

>From: "Dan Vietor" <address@hidden>

Hey Dan,

Concerning:

>The install went smooth and I'm up and running.  One major point... If
>your using X windows (Gnome/KDE desktop), you need more than 64MB of
>RAM. It recommends 96MB. My system is 64MB and its swapping like crazy
>when I try to do stuff.  I guess I'm going to go out and look for
>memory!

Get off of your wallet man :-)  Here is an email add I got yesterday
from Egghead Software (egghead.com):

1/2 Gig for Only $57.99!!
Spectek 512MB PC133 SDRAM
$57.99
http://promo2.eggheadlist.com/r.asp?r=223&s=BT1022

RAM is dirt cheap right now and appears to be getting cheaper, at least
for people running PIII and Athlon based machines.  Given the price
above, _everyone_ should have 1.5 GB of RAM in their boxes!

Talk to you later...

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Oct 24 21:56:44 2001
>To: "'Unidata Support'" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20011024: RedHat 7.2 requires >= 96 MB to run X

With newer versions of XFree86 absorbing about 40MB of RAM on startup,
browsers like Netscape and Mozilla taking another 30MB, and file
managers like Nautilus which is embedded in Gnome taking another
10-12MB, its no wonder systems need more memory.  But for the
functionality, the additional memory is worth it.  I went out and got
64MB of RAM for $35 and the system runs like a charm.  OK, I took the
easy route to CompUSA.  And I thought Microsoft had the patent on
BLOATWARE.

What Tom says is correct.  Memory is dirt cheap and there is no excuse
for not adding memory.  For that matter, for under $100 you can add 30GB
of disk as well.  Talking about giving an older Pentium a new life.

Now to go upgrade all my PCs to Windows XP! :-)

Daniel Vietor               Mail: address@hidden
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215