20010904: NOAAPORT receiving system

>From:  Adam Taylor <address@hidden>

Adam,

>I found out that we might have enough money for a dish.  I know you are not
>the one to contact so if you could foward this to the apporpriate person, i
>would appreciate it..  Could you give me the price range for a NOAAPORT
>reciever/system that would do ALL of the things that the IDD is doing for us
>now??  Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of things here.

First, we don't attempt to keep on top of the pricing of NOAAPORT
receive systems.  We can, however, point you to:

Manufacturers List of NOAAPORT Receive Systems
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/manu_lst.shtml

This page is maintained by NOAA, so it is hopefully current.  The bad
news is that you will need to contact each vendor separately for
pricing.

Second, a satellite receive system can replace the ingest function of
the IDD in your institution for those data that are contained in
NOAAPORT.  It can't, however, provide access to those datastreams that
are not contained in NOAAPORT.  A partial list of the datastreams not
contained in NOAAPORT are:

CONDUIT - NMC model output formerly only available by FTP from the NIC
CRAFT   - NEXRAD 3D radar data
DIFAX   - replacement DIFAX-like maps made available by the U of Wisconsin
FSL2    - FSL wind profiler data
MCIDAS  - satellite imagery prepared for Unidata by UW/SSEC
NLDN    - National Lightning Detection Network lightning data
NOGAPS  - NOGAPS model output produced by FNMOC (US Navy)
PCMW    - global ACARS data from FSL
etc.

A NOAAPORT receive system would help relieve a lot of network pressure
in your department/on your campus.  I believe, however, that you will
still want to run an IDD node to get access to all of those other
very useful datasets.  The two systems will complement each other well.

Just thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents worth...