20010319: NOAAPORT DATA access from PDI

>From: address@hidden

Mike and Gerald,

>I haven't checked into this deeply.  But it sounds like a company is
>trying to sell universities access to NOAAPORT.  I wonder if they
>credit UNIDATA or NOAA for their access?

Planetary Data, Inc. is one of the vendors of NOAAPORT satellite receive
systems that is listed under the NOAAPORT User's Page:

NOAAPORT User's Page
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/noaaport.shtml

  Manufacturer's List of NOAAPORT receive systems
  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/manu_lst.shtml

The email from Declan appears to be a promotion of their Linux-based,
NOAAPORT satellite-broadcast ingest system; a system that is in use at
several Unidata sites in the US.  Since PDI is not attempting to
"resell" Unidata services, we do not feel that they need to credit us.
Since they are listed on the NWS-maintained list of NOAAPORT receive
system vendors, we do not think that additional crediting of NOAA is
necessary.

I can also add that PDI representatives and one or more Unidata staff
members have had productive email exchanges about how their system can
be interfaced with the Unidata LDM for university use.  They appear to
be eager to help Unidata sites use their product in the overall Unidata
context.

I hope that this helps clarify relationships between PDI and Unidata.
If not, please let me know.

>Mike B.
>
>>From: "Declan Cannon" <address@hidden>
>>To: <address@hidden>
>>Subject: NOAAPORT DATA
>>Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:43:52 -0600
>>
>>Please visit our website and discover the benefits of acquiring
>>weather data from NOAAPort. This is the same system used to supply
>>data to all the NWS forecast offices. With a PDI NOAAPort Receive
>>System, (Linux -based), you will no longer be paying monthly data
>>fees.
>>In fact, after initial implementation costs, the only fee(optional)
>>is an annual software/maintenance fee. Join our other customers in
>>the broadcasting,military,educational, and research fields and
>>receive weather data at a very affordable price. Attached is a
>>current price list of our systems.
>>  Declan P. Cannon
>>Planetary Data, Inc
>><mailto:address@hidden>address@hidden
>><http://www.planetarydata.com>www.planetarydata.com
>
>Gerald R. North
>Distinguished Professor of Meteorology and Oceanography
>Head, Department of Atmospheric Sciences
>Texas A&M University
>College Station, TX 77843-3150
>address@hidden
>phone: (979)845-7671