Re: 20001218: UNL Sun Enterprise 450

Tom,

>Clint,
>
>I just wanted to touch base with you about the status of your Sun
>Enterprise 450 (aka BHS (Big Honkin Server)):
>
>o have you installed it yet
Funny you should ask.  It's my task for the week now that finals are
over and all grades have been turned in.  Right now, I've got it acting
like a server for my machine and my account.  Now, I have to make it like
the rest of the accounts and users (or maybe I'll keep it to myself!)  I
should have everything functional by the end of the week or early next week at
the latest.

>o what is the status of UNL's network connection (i.e., is it slated
>  to be upgraded to Internet-2/Abliene (I have a (perhaps false) memory
>  about this))
We are already I2/Abilene.  Connection to BHS is 100M ethernet.

>o are you going to have it function as your IDD ingest node
probably, once I get to it.  I'll first serve it from our current ingest
machine (chinook) to get everthing working, then switch to feed it directly
from upstream.

>o are you still willing to have it serve GINI imagery through ADDE
Man, just when I was getting Mark weaned from McIDAS ;-)
I don't think that will be a problem

>o do you think that your network connection would support getting
>  all of the NOAAPORT NIDS products, and, if so, would you be willing
>  to help provide this data in the IDD
Ask Anne.  I was the test link between Gilbert and her for gathering statistics
on the radar data delivery.  Actually, I was the "weak link".  chinook, rather
than network connectivity, was the weakest part, I think.  With BHS at 100M,
I anticipate being able to handle all the radar data.  My only hesitation is
that I don't have a lot of support around here for help and I do want to
continue to have a life outside the office!

>Don't panic!  I'm just trying to get some information :-)
>
>Tom
>**************************************************************************** <
>Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata Program <
>(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000 <
>address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO 80307 <
>Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/      <

Clinton M. Rowe
Associate Professor
Meteorology/Climatology Program                  phone:(402)472-1946
Department of Geosciences                          fax:(402)472-4917
University of Nebraska-Lincoln                        address@hidden