20000925: SGI "recall" of power supplies (forward)

>From: "Larry D. Oolman" <address@hidden>

The following is being forwarded as a community service.

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Larry D. Oolman" <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:14:21 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: SGI "recall" of power supplies

One of the system administrators at our University received a letter from
SGI that I think warrants passing on.  There is more information on the
SGI web site <http://www.sgi.com/support/fco_pwr_supply/tech_info.html>.

Larry Oolman
Department of Atmospheric Science
University of Wyoming
address@hidden
http://www-das.uwyo.edu

I received a letter from SGI stating that the power supplies on the
following modes:
Power Challenge (rack and deskside)
Power Onyx (rack and deskside)
Challenge XL
Challenge L
Onyx (rack and desk)
   Including Onyx i-Sation, Reality Station

"The power supplies may attain high temperatures because of high
electrical looses in the magnetic cores. This in turn may cause the
insulation material  in the cores to smoke, and on occasion, to
flame.  The flames may escape to the outside of the computer. The smoke is
a health hazard and sometimes, a potential shock hazard may be present."

SGI needs to know where these systems are, including systems that were
sold or are out of service.

Their letter states that they plan to start replacing power supplies in
november of this year.
The following were listed a way to reduce the risk:
1. Make sure the systems are properly grounded
2. On the Deskside and "L" models, remove the plastic Rear Panel (leave
the other panels on the system)
3. For All systems, please ensure that they are free and clear of any
combustible materials within a one foot radius
4. For Rackmount and "XL" systems, remove all papers and other
combustibles stored with the rack
5. All Inlet vents and screens and filters must be checked and cleaned of
dust and any other debris that might have accumulated since installation
6. The system should be monitored and if one observes overheating or a
smell of smoke, this indicuates that there may be a failure in progress
and the system should be shut down immediately. DO NOT remove the Power
Supply for replacement prior to 30 minutes after the system has been shut
down in order to allow the Power Supply to cool.

If you have not received a letter around your system, you should be
getting one soon.  If not, contact me and I'll help to make arrangements
for your system.  Number 5 should be done to any system every so often to
avoid it over heating. Usually once a year.  Even the cleanist room has
dust and dirt.  A simple air clean can be used to blow it clean.  To my
personal amazement, I found a dead miller in one of my computers.

Jim Ward

"Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't
have to experience it."

                - Max Frisch

------- End of Forwarded Message