20000911: UNL Sun Enterprise 450 cost (cont.)

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, but I have been struggling to
get folks upgraded to the latest ldm-mcidas release before I turn off
the delta-encoded images on Friday.

>I'll be glad to send you our quote, but I'm not sure how much good it will
>do you.

It might help give us some leverage with Sun.  But, then again, it might not.

>We were in a somewhat unique position with regard to Sun.  Their
>rep for Nebraska had ignored non-commercial customers for about three years
>and was making an attempt to "make up" to UNL.  They have some kind of ongoing
>program for outfitting labs and getting the Sun logo in front of students.

We are making a run at Sun to give us great deals on "big" servers that
we can install around the country.  You will be learning a lot more about
this at upcoming User Comm meetings.

>By purchasing at least 10 workstations for a lab, we became eligible for this
>program, which basically allowed us to purchase workstations for half of their
>already educational discount price.  Because the were trying to get back into
>our good graces, the Sun regional manager found a way to slip the server into
>the half-price deal.  According to our new campus rep, the servers were not
>part of the lab building program.

Yea, but they are really trying to increase their market share especially
in light of the inroads that Linux boxes are having.

>I'll be glad to send you the e-mail quote I have, if you think it will do you
>any good.  Let me know and I'll dig it out of my archives ...

Please do.  If nothing else, it will be interesting for us.

>PS  BTW, it has arrived, but I haven't yet received the graphics card I need
>    to install for a console.  Also, Sun "suggests" that the 450 be on its own
>    15 amp circuit, so we're getting our facilities management people to
>    estimate the cost of that.  I'll let you know when it's actually up and
>    running.

OK, when it is up and running, and when you have caught your breath, then
we can revisit the GINI image access we talked about when you were in town
last.

Talk to you later...

Tom