20000407: Diskless Sun workstations and McIDAS

>From: Erick Lorenz <address@hidden>

------- Forwarded Messages

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 14:34:09 -0700
To: address@hidden
Subject: Diskless workstations and McIDAS

I recently attended a seminar given by our math department in which
they demonstrated and extolled the virtues of equipping a student
computer lab with diskless workstations.  They were able to assemble
these units for about $400 (not including the monitor).  Each station
contains a PROM that boots the unit up to the point where it can then
download Linux from a server.  They each have enough memory to run
Linux and any software without swapping over the network.  They also
used a dedicated LAN for internal communication.  And of course the
server(s) are very powerful with lots of disk space.

This got me to thinking whether such a system could work with McIDAS.
Unlike trying to run X-terminals off of a server, this gives each
station its own CPU and memory resident software.  Is there anything
about the inner workings of McIDAS that would make this a bad idea?

On the good side I can see (1) cheap hardware, (2) ease of maintenance,
and (3) security.  The math people related how crackers would find the
addresses of the workstations and try to break in but couldn't because
there was no local file system to mess with.

What do you think?

Erick Lorenz, UCDavis

------- Message 2