20000320: Info on suitable hardware

>From: "Neil R. Smith" <address@hidden>

Neil,

>What machinery to buy?

The $64K question :-)

I just wanted to blast you a quick note to point out that questions from
other users on the same topic can be searched at:

Unidata Home Page
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  Search Our Server
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/glimpse.html
    platforms support e-mail archive

Try out this search page with various keywords and see if the information
that has been sent previously helps out.  If not, please give drop us
another note, and I will attempt to flesh out some of our thinking on
the subject.

>We're re-evaluating our data ingest hardware environment.  We
>would like some advice or pointers to info that will help us
>decide what kind of processing power would be best for our
>current and future in-house needs and downstream feed duties.
>We also want to get an idea of the future expansion planned
>for the IDD, in terms of product and volume (or bandwidth)
>and rough scheduling for these changes.
>
>One of the kinds of info that would be helpful is quantifiable
>metrics useful during the hardware shopping stage, such as
>minimum-to-comfortable ranges for mips, FLOPS, or I/O rates.
>
>What would also be welcome is any advise or anecdotes arising
>from your or others' experiences with various platform brands,
>operating systems, or otherwise generic configuration issues.
>
>Many thanks,
>-Neil
>--
>Neil R. Smith, Comp. Sys. Mngr.                address@hidden
>Dept. Atmospheric Sci., Texas A&M Univ.        979/845-6272 FAX:979/862-4466

Tom Yoksas