19990510: PC platforms for running Unidata applications (cont.)

>From: Deborah Luchsinger <address@hidden>

Debby,

>Here is my final configuration - I am planning on ordering two identical
>PC, as specified below.  Did I forget anything??? :-)
>
>Dell 6450 PIII/MT Workstation 410 Base with Integrated 3Com Fast
>Etherlink XL 10/100Mb/s and Sound Blaster Compatible Audio
>
>Logitech 30button System Mouse for Workstation 410
>
>256 MB RAN, ECC, IDIMM
>
>Dell Workstation Processor Terminator Card
>
>17/40X IDE CD ROM Drive
>
>8MB, AGP, Diamond Permedia 2, Video Card for Workstation PWS
>
>Dell UltraScan P990 Monitor with 18" Viewable Image Size
>
>9.1 GB SCSI, LVD, U2W, 7200 RPM Hard drive for Workstation 410
>
>4 GB SCSI Hard Drive for WS LVD, U2W, 7200 RPM
>
>3.5" 1.44 MB Slimline Floppy drive and diagnostics for Workstation 410
>
>Redhat LINUX 5.2, Factory Install

I think you have all hardware bases covered.  As far as software goes,
the "Factory Install" of Linux should take care of the OS, and the
fact that Dell is doing the install _should_ gurantee that all of the
hardware is supported by the OS (but I would put that in my contract!)
The good news about Linux is that getting software for it is free
most of the time.

>Thanks Tom!

You are welcome.