19990303: solaris & file systems

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>After reading your last message, one more question.
>
>If we stop now and repartition to just root and swap,
>
>how much space in each ?  i.e. how much in swap 500 MB?

Swap depends on how much memory you have in your system.  A general
rule is twice as much swap space as memory.  So if you have 64MB
of memory, allocate 128 for swap, 256 MB RAM - 512MB swap.  If you
only have 64 now and expect to add more later, it doesn't
hurt to make swap big (256 or more ) now.  You can add to swap
in the future by using a file on another partition for swap, so getting
it correct now isn't as big a deal.

Then use the rest for the root partition /.

Don