19990107: Restoring Findeisen at UNI

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>       This is what Melanie and Drew have concluded about
>the bizzare incident with Findeisen shutting down our campus
>computer system.  Would you be able to assist them in restoring
>Findeisen without destroying all the software you installed?
>Please keep me posted and thanks for your help.

The short answer is yes. However, it might be prudent to wipe the disk
clean and resinstall the software. Who knows what is lurking around in
the mcidas/gempak directories. It is also probably easier for me to
just re-install rather than figure out what needs to be backed up. All
the data is old by now, so it's not like you are going to lose anything
valuable there. I can do the install/setup remotely if you can give me
root access (or you could try it on your own if you want to be brave!
;-)).

If you want to go this route, then have Drew reformat the disk and
remove Windows from it since if this is going to be your LDM system
there is no need for dual booting. That will give you another 2GB of
disk to use for LDM/GEMPAK/McIDAS. You have a 6 GB disk. If you set
aside 4 GB for the ldm data, you would have 2 GB for the Linux install
and the software. If he is going to make /home a separate partition, it
needs to be at least 500 Mb to hold the McIDAS and GEMPAK distributions.
Alternatively, he can leave /home as part of the main root / partition
and use a disk quota to set the limit on the size. That way, if it ends
up being too small, the quota can be enlarged and he would not have to
repartition the disk.

I'm curious as to what led them to believe it was hacked (what were
the symptoms they found). Cornell had a linux system that was hacked
recently also. I wonder if it is the same person.

Let me know what route they want to take and if they can provide more
details on the symptoms of the breakin (like how they got in), that
would be great.

I'll wait to hear from you.  I'm not going to AMS so I'll be around
next week.

Don