[netCDF #LBD-834966]: help reading .nc files

Hello,

I'm afraid I can't provide too much information about the data hosted by NOAA;
while we maintain and publish several of the software packages they are using
to provide data, we are not actively involved with managing their data portals.
 I've done a little bit of investigation and have found the following in
regards to how data can be accessed:

* https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/access/services.html

This page appears to offer lots of data available from a number of services
(http, ftp, THREDDS, OPeNDAP, etc).  I'm able to click through and navigate the
data sources without needing to register, but I'm unable to actually find
anything I would download, so I can't confirm that registration is not
required.  From the look of it, I suspect it may not be.

Finding data can be very difficult, particularly for a non-domain expert such
as myself.  I assume you are a domain scientist for whom the
descriptions/metadata are meaningful, but cannot find the data you are looking
for.  I was able to find some NOAA resources related to their metadata
organization, available here:

* https://www.ncddc.noaa.gov/metadata-standards/

I confess that, as a computer scientist, much of the domain-specific
information is not intuitive to me, but perhaps it is more meaningful to you?

You don't ask about visualizing or working with the .nc files once you have
them 'in hand', so to speak; I assume you have tools at your disposal for
working with netCDF files.  If not, please let me know and I'll provide as much
help as I'm able to.  In the meantime, if the links above are not helpful, you
might try contacting NOAA directly; I'm sure they can provide more help, as
this is a resource they maintain.  I found the following contact information
which may prove useful for you:

* https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/about/contact.html

I hope this helps, have a great day,

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to access data on the NOAA site (https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/).
> However, I am not able to download or read .nc files.  Can you help with
> procedures, or send a link to use, or inform about registration requirements.

Ticket ID: LBD-834966
Department: Support netCDF