[netCDF #KVU-841091]: radar level 3 files

Hello Jeremy,

The C version supports any file stored in the netCDF format.  I'm not a radar
guy, but I suspect the file `sn.last` is not a netCDF file and thus cannot be
read directly by the C library.  The Java version has an independent
implementation of the netCDF standard in addition to other file formats, which
would explain why the Java library can read non-netCDF files whereas the C
library can't.

I hope this is helpful, sorry I can't provide a more immediately useful
response,

-Ward

> Does NetCDF support radar level 3 files?  I'm getting conflicting
> information -- it appears that it does by looking here:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/reference/formats/FileTypes.html
>
> Although I see now that page references the Java version, I'm specifically
> asking about the C version.
>
> I downloaded the binaries and tried to display the headers of an N0Q (base
> reflectivity file) I got from NOAA here:
>
> ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/DS.p94r0/SI.kabr/sn.last
>
> This file is the latest base reflectivity product generated by the KABR
> radar site.
>
> However when running:
>
> ncdump -h sn.last
>
> I get:
>
> ncdump: sn.last: NetCDF: Unknown file format
>
> Can you guys tell me what's going on?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jeremy