[netCDF #WMS-569611]: Parallel NetCDF and MPI

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for writing to us, and my apologies for the delayed response; I have
been out of the office.  The netCDF-CXX4 API was contributed to us by a third
party, as a replacement for the old API, and you are correct that the
constructor for parallel I/O (enhanced model) appears to have gone missing.  I
will fix this for the upcoming release of the C++ API.  In the meantime, you
could use the C api, or an older version of the C++ API.

My apologies for not having a better answer, but you are the first person to
point this out! I will correct this ASAP.

-Ward

> Full Name: Andrea Laruelo
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 4.3.0
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> Dear NetCDF Support Team,
>
> I am currently working in the development of a C++ library that uses
> NetCDF-4 files (enhanced model) to store scientific data. We are using
> NetCDF-4 C++ version 4.3.0.  We have started to think about using parallel
> access to the NetCDF-4 files.  We cannot use PnetCDF due to the use of
> the enhanced NetCDF4 model (if I understood correctly, only the classic
> model is supported).  Diving in the available online documentation, I
> found that the class NcFile used to have a constructor to open a NetCDF
> file for parallel MPI I/O. This can be seen in the link below:
>
> http://www.nrel.colostate.edu/projects/irc/public/Documents/Software/netCDF/cpp4/html/classnetcdf_1_1NcFile.html
>
> There is also an example (named Test_Parallel.cpp) that shows how to
> use parallel NetCDF4 I/O using this constructor.
>
> Unfortunately (at least for me), I have realized that this constructor
> is not available in NetCDF4-C++ 4.3.  Could you please tell me if there
> is a workaround or another way to use MPI within NetCDF-C++?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Greetings from Toulouse,
> Andrea

Ticket ID: WMS-569611