[netCDF #DOQ-804763]: Installing netcdf

Hello,

The ease of install is largely a matter of perspective, and can be influenced
by any number of environmental issues.  For example, in the case where you are
installing an older and unsupported version (such as 4.1.3), there is an
increasing chance over time that the software simply won't compile, because it
has not been maintained.  The .libs/ directory you mention is part of the
autotools based build, and contains various files that are then copied to the
appropriate location when 'make install' is invoked; the library is not meant
to simply be built and used, but it must also be installed.  In this way it is
similar to other libraries.

Can you provide the config.log file generated when you configured netCDF
4.4.1.1?  That may provide some additional information which I can use to
figure out why this build failed.

Thank you, have a great day,

-Ward

> First of all I must say that installing netcdf is no easy task at all,
> why?
>
> The only version of netcdf I have managed to install is netcdf-4.1.3.
> Even with this version, my config.log in installation of WRF
> includes one include library as -L/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib. But
> my netcdf installation does not have a lib directory. What I have is
> /usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/liblib/.libs.
>
> I have zlib, szlib, jasper, libpng and hdf5 installed. All the config.logs
> for these libraries indicated exit status 0.
>
> I then tried to install netcdf-4-4.1.1 with the command
> CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local --disable-netcdf-4
> And below is what I get
> var.c:18:1: error: (this will be reported only once per input file)
> Makefile:581: recipe for target 'libnetcdf3_la-var.lo' failed
> make[2]: *** [libnetcdf3_la-var.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/netcdf-4.4.1.1/libsrc'
> Makefile:691: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/netcdf-4.4.1.1'
> Makefile:538: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> What is the best way to go about this?
>
> Help will be appreciated.
>
> Zilore Mumba