[netCDF #LWS-744983]: Unexpected nc-config output?

That is peculiar; some changes were made to nc-config to properly pull
information from nf-config, when nf-config was found.  I don't think I added
anything (on purpose) to generate the output you're seeing, however.  I'd agree
with your supposition that this is coming from the OS.  Let me investigate this
and follow up with you!

-Ward

> Dear Unidata,
>
> I need help solving a mysterious feature in nc-config.
> Recently (last two months? since netCDF 4.4.1?) I noticed that
> nc-config on my Fedora and Ubuntu platforms (but not MacOSX) began
> emitting unexpected information:
>
> zender@glace:~$ which nc-config
> /usr/local/bin/nc-config
> zender@glace:~$ nc-config --version
> Using nf-config: /usr/local/bin/nf-config
> netCDF 4.4.2-development
> zender@glace:~$ /usr/local/bin/nc-config --version
> Using nf-config: /usr/local/bin/nf-config
> netCDF 4.4.2-development
>
> The "Using nf-config ..." output is unexpected.
> Both because I am invoking nc-config not nf-config, and because that
> command never used to have that output. Moreover, I have read and
> re-read the installed scripts and nowhere in the scripts are there
> any commands that would output the text "Using nf-config..." text.
> It almost seems like the operating system emits the text as some
> kind of security measure (although I only see it with nc/nf-config).
>
> This extra text causes the NCO build to fail, because the extra
> text "Using nf-confg..."gets mixed into the NCO compile lines (along
> with the expected output from `nc-config --cflags`).
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what is happening?
> And how to avoid/fix it? I am totally stumped.
>
> Thanks!
> Charlie
> --
> Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
> University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(

Ticket ID: LWS-744983
Department: Support netCDF