[netCDF #FLI-445795]: Fortran interface: docs and the future

Good morning Robert,

Thanks for the kind words; you've been using it longer than I've been part of
the netCDF team, but I feel fortunate to be working on a project that is so
storied and broadly used.

The Fortran 90 documentation can be found at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/documentation/historic/netcdf/index.html,
 from a link at the top.  We're reorganizing the documentation on the server,
and while there is a link in the main C documentation, it should probably be
made more prominent.

Regarding the Fortran 90 interface and the impact of the Fortran 2003/C binding
provided by Richard Weed; there are no plans to remove the F90 interface, so
you needn't worry about that.  Unfortunately, with Russ' retirement last
November, much of our Fortran expertise also departed.  I'm primarily a C
developer but am learning Fortran on an 'as-need-to' basis.  That's one of the
great advantages of our move to GitHub; it makes it very easy for our community
to submit improvements through their 'pull request' system.

Let me know if that link I provided doesn't work for you, or if there is other
documentation you are looking for; I'm sure I'll be able to dig it up!

Have a great day,

-Ward

> Hello netCDF folks -
>
> First let me say thank you, thank you for this marvelous piece of software.
> I’ve been using it for almost 20 years now.
>
> Then, forgive me if I’ve done something dumb, but I can not find
> documentation for the Fortran 90 interface anywhere obvious: the pages linked
> to http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/ all seems to describe
> the C interface.
>
> As a follow-on question — what is the relationships between the Fortran 90
> interface and the new Fortran 2003/C bindings intro cued by Richard Weed? Are
> there plans for the Fortran 90 interface to remain supported for the time
> being? The overloading and size checking in the F90 interface (which I wrote
> years ago with Russ) are certainly handy.
>
> ---
> Robert Pincus
> University of Colorado/NOAA Earth System Research Lab
> http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/people/robert.pincus

Ticket ID: FLI-445795
Department: Support netCDF