[netCDF #MEI-162758]: NetCDF static library for Windows

Hello Charles,

Currently, we only provide the shared libraries (.dll), as you have observed.
To get static versions of the library, you would need to recompile at least
netCDF; you would also need to recompile the dependencies as well, depending on
what capabilities you want the netcdf library to possess.  If you wanted a
bare-bones netCDF3 library, there aren't actually any dependencies you need to
worry about.  If you wanted a full blown netCDF4 library, you would need to
recompile zlib, hdf5 and libcurl to get netCDF4 and DAP support.

This can be a bit cumbersome; if you are interested, I can provide you a script
that I use for re-building the dependencies on Windows.  It uses cmake to
generate Visual Studio projects and then cmake again as a VS-frontend to
compile everything on the command line.  The script would purely be for
reference; it's not an 'official' Unidata tool/product, but it sounds like it
might be helpful.

I'm sorry I can't provide a more immediately helpful response!

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the NetCDF binaries for Windows and used it with success.
> However I would like to use a static version of the library, not the dll.
> I read the instructions at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html
>
> and it seems that the dll are mandatory.
>
> How can I get a fully static version of NetCDF for Windows? Do I have to
> re-compile everything by myself in static mode, or are the static binary
> also available somewhere?
>
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot !
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles Verron

Ticket ID: MEI-162758
Department: Support netCDF