[netCDF #OEJ-560742]: configure error

Hi Rose,

> I'm trying to install netcdf in order to run GMT. I get an error
>
> "Can't find or link to the z library. Turn off netCDF-4 and opendap with
> --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap, or see config.log for errors."
>
> I have very little UNIX knowledge, so if you could give me pretty easy
> instructions I would really appreciate it. I've been looking at fixes
> online but I don't understand the instructions (such as specifying the
> location of the zlibrary, but I have no idea where to even look for it).

The z library (usually called zlib) is a popular and widely used library for
lossless compression, which is already included with many Unix systems,
but can also be downloaded and installed from various package management
systems (for example dpkg, yum, homebrew, macports, anaconda, ...) or built
from source (see http://www.zlib.net/).

NetCDF-4 depends on an HDF5 library that is built with zlib enabled, so
zlib must be built and installed before HDF5, which must be built and
installed before netCDF-4.  The package management systems mentioned
above will do this for you, but if you need to build the libraries on which
GMT depends from source for some reason, see these instructions for
building the netCDF-C library with zlib and hdf5:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html#build_default

If you are having trouble building HDF5 with zlib, please consult the HDF5
installation instructions:

  https://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/current/src/unpacked/release_docs/INSTALL

--Russ

Ticket ID: OEJ-560742