[netCDF #GPF-550597]: Regarding Netcdf installation

Hello Andrew,

We do not provide or maintain the R `ncdf4` package, but I will try to provide
as much help as I can, as I also use R and RStudio.

I am able to install the `ncdf4` in my copy of RStudio, using the
'tools->install packages' menu.  In my environment, it installs easily because
it is able to download a binary version of the ncdf4 package.  What version of
R/RStudio are you using? Also, what operating system are you using? I would
suspect you are on Windows, but I am not sure.  Also, what version of ncdf4 is
it trying to install? For reference, I am on OSX, using R 3.1.1, and it
installed ncdf4.1.13.

If you are on a platform with no binary installer available, RStudio will
download the source code and try to build it.  When this happens, RStudio will
look for a C/C++ compiler.  I suspect that in this case you are on a platform
with no binary package available, and RStudio cannot find a compiler to build
it with.  This is only a guess, however; if you provide the information above I
will see if I can form a better guess.

Thank you,

-Ward

> Good day support for netcdf,
>
> I am Andrew from Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology.
>
> I am a research scientist focusing on environmental oil spill forensices but
> actually quite new to R programming.
>
> I have came across with many other professionals that used netcdf to process
> their data. However, I am using R programming but I have problem installing
> or getting to run netcdf on my R Studio.
>
> I have searched many websites including cran.r-project but I still could not
> solve this problem.
>
> If you would be kind enough to send me a good link or better still give me
> some  advice, it would be very helpful to me.
>
> My problem is; when I try to install the "netcdf4" package on my R studio,
> they give me an error message saying:
> Package which is only available in source form, and may need compilation of
> C/C++/Fortran:
> ‘ncdf4’
>
> So how do I compile ncdf4 with R???
>
> If you could quide me with this process, it would really mean a lot to me.
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew loh
>

> Good day support for netcdf,
>
> I am Andrew from Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology.
>
> I am a research scientist focusing on environmental oil spill forensices but
> actually quite new to R programming.
>
> I have came across with many other professionals that used netcdf to process
> their data. However, I am using R programming but I have problem installing
> or getting to run netcdf on my R Studio.
>
> I have searched many websites including cran.r-project but I still could not
> solve this problem.
>
> If you would be kind enough to send me a good link or better still give me
> some  advice, it would be very helpful to me.
>
> My problem is; when I try to install the "netcdf4" package on my R studio,
> they give me an error message saying:
> Package which is only available in source form, and may need compilation of
> C/C++/Fortran:
> ‘ncdf4’
>
> So how do I compile ncdf4 with R???
>
> If you could quide me with this process, it would really mean a lot to me.
>
> Thank you,
> Andrew loh

Ticket ID: GPF-550597
Department: Support netCDF