[netCDF #VTI-484586]: configure for netcdf 4.3.3.1 can't find hdf5dll and exits

> Hi Russ,

> Followed your advice on prepending the flags to ./configure.

Except you prepended the definition of only LDFLAGS to ./configure, after
defining and also exporting LDFLAGS.  You should use one or the other way
to set environment variables for CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS, you don't need
both.

But I don't think that's the problem, I think it arises from you unnecessarily
defining LIBS and also including $LDFLAGS in that.

> Some new issues arise - please advise on next steps to having a netcdf4 build.

Comment out the definition of LIBS, you don't need it if you're using shared
libraries. For some reason LIBS is not getting defined in configure the way you
defined it before invoking configure.  In your config.log it shows:

  LIBS='-lhdf5 -ldl -lm -lz '

which is wrong, it should have -lhdf5_hl in front of -lhdf5. And that
wrong value for LIBS is also the cause of the fatal configure error
you are seeing now

  configure:16847: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 high-level. Use
--disable-netcdf-4, or see config.log for errors.

Here's something that should work for you that exports variables
used by configure:

# I guess you need this for intel C compiler?
export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/intel_compiler/composer_xe_2015.1.133/compiler/lib/intel64

# These are just shortcuts for where things are installed, so we don't
# have to keep repeating them
H5DIR=/opt/home/george/libs/hdf5-1.8.13
ZDIR=/opt/home/george/libs/zlib-1.2.8
CURLDIR=/opt/home/george/libs/curl-7.26.0
NCDIR=/opt/home/george/libs/netcdf-4.3.3.1

# These are environment variables actually used by configure.  Instead
# of defining and exporting them here, we could just prepend these
# definitions before invoking configure
export CC=cc
export CFLAGS="-mtune=native -m64"
export LDFLAGS="-L${H5DIR}/lib -L${ZDIR}/lib -L${CURLDIR}/lib"
export CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I${H5DIR}/include -I${ZDIR}/include -I${CURLDIR}/include"

## Builds netCDF C library, which must be installed before building netCDF
Fortran library
## Since LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS are exported, need not define them on same line as
## configure
## Don't need default settings such as --enable-netcdf-4 --enable-shared .
## Didn't need CURLDIR if you really want --disable-dap.
## Large file tests take a really long time, you can include after you get this
working.
./configure --prefix=${NCDIR} > configme-4-4.log 2>&1

--Russ

Ticket ID: VTI-484586
Department: Support netCDF