[netCDF #GWP-637632]: testing cross-compiled netCDF-Fortran

Hello,

Building the tests, without running them, appears to be a tricky proposition
when using the autotools toolchain (configure/make check/etc).  It appears that
you can build tests without running them, however, using the following command:

    $ make check TESTS=

An alternative may be to leverage the 'cmake' support we have added to
netcdf-c/fortran/cxx.  CMake is a robust alternative to autotools; while I
cannot offer advice in using it to cross-compile, I know that it will build the
tests without running them (when you invoke 'make').

Information on cross-compiling with CMake may be found at the following page:

http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/manual/cmake-toolchains.7.html#cross-compiling

I hope this helps; have a great day!

-Ward

> Dear netCDF Support:
>
> I have cross-compiled netCDF-Fortran (with HDF5) for MIC,
> but have found not all calls to it succeeded in my
> application.  I would like to test my build; but to do so,
> I believe I would need to cross-compile the tests without
> running them, so that I could later run them natively.
> Would you please advise me on how I might do that?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Max
> ---
> Max R. Dechantsreiter