[netCDF #GWZ-530194]: wgrib2 help

Hi Artur,

> Dear Sir/Madam, Please help me understand where is the error in installation
> of wgrib2 command in Ubuntu.  The following message appears in Step 6, and I
> can't find wgrib2 in folder wgrib2:
> ---------------------------------------------1 of 5 tests failed Please
> report to address@hidden ========================================= make[3]:
> *** [check-TESTS] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/precis/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test' make[2]: *** [check-am]
> Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/precis/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test' make[1]: ***
> [check-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/precis/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3' make: ***
> [/home/precis/Downloads/grib2/lib/libnetcdf.a] Error
> 2---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    Compiling wgrib2 is easy on a linux system.1) Download
> ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/wgrib2.tgz
> 2) untar wgrib2.tgz:  tar -xzvf wgrib2.tgz   (use gnu tar)
> 3) cd to main directory:  cd grib2
> 4) set the C compiler to use:  export CC=gcc (bash)
> 5) set the fortran compiler to use:  export FC=gfortran (bash)
> 6) compile: make  (must use gnu make)
> 7) find executable in wgrib2/wgrib2
> note: you may have to install gcc and gfortran
> Best regards,Artur Gevorgyan

We didn't develop and don't use or support wgrib2, but it apparently
includes an old version of the netCDF source distribution (version 3.6.3
from June, 2008).

My first recommendation would be to build and install netCDF-4 from
the current version, using the --disable-netcdf-4 configure option if
you only need the netCDF-3 features and functions for wgrib2:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/

After that is installed, there ought to be a way to specify for wgrib2 to
use that installed library, but you would need to determine that from
the wgrib2 installation instructions.

Alternatively, we may be able to help with the netcdf-3.6.3 problem, but
would need more information, including the config.log file generated in
the netCDF source directory and all the output from "make check" for
netCDF. You might get a quicker or better answer by seeking assistance
from the wgrib2 developers or community, where this problem may have
encountered and solved before.

--Russ

Ticket ID: GWZ-530194
Department: Support netCDF