[netCDF #PEG-669046]: Unable to test Fortran wrapper compiled with Portland Fortran 15.1

Hi Mattew,

> I have recently gained access to v15.1 of Portland Fortran and
> have been compiling up our software stack with it. Unfortunately
> the Fortran wrapper for NetCDF fails to pass its own self-test.
> Or rather it fails to build its own tests.
>
> The failure is an inability to link "tst03_f77_v2" to "Tests_".
> This message
> <https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg12845.html>
> appears to refer to the same problem. However the "don't compile
> the v2 API" solution doesn't work for me as ESMF requires the
> global error variable provided by it.
>
> The Makefile which builds the test states: "This fails with
> pgifortran, but works with gfortran." which isn't particularly
> helpful. Luckily 5 minutes work shows that if you make the
> following change it works:
>
> am__f03tst_vars2_SOURCES_DIST = module_tests.F90 f03tst_vars2.F \
> f03lib_f_interfaces.f90 f03lib.c handle_err.F
> <<< am_f03tst_vars2_OBJECTS = \
> f03tst_vars2.$(OBJEXT) \
> f03lib_f_interfaces.$(OBJEXT) \
> f03lib.$(OBJEXT) handle_err.$(OBJEXT)
> f03tst_vars2_OBJECTS = $(am_f03tst_vars2_OBJECTS)
>
> I hope this is useful to you.

Thanks, we'll fix that for the next release. Evidently, the file you are
modifying
is nf03_test/Makefile.in, but that file is generated automatically from by the
automake tool from the Makefile.am file in the same directory, so that change
won't work for us, but we'll figure out the analogous fix to Makefile.am.

--Russ

Ticket ID: PEG-669046
Department: Support netCDF