[netCDF #ZIU-420624]: NetCDF packages not there?

Hi Yaprak,

> I'm trying to build NetCDF to work with Wavewatch 3 in fortran. I installed
> NetCDF 4.1.3 and it seems to be working fine, but I have 7 packages I need
> for Wavewatch 3 to work and the only one I seem to have in my /bin
> directory is "ncdump"
>
> The packages I'm missing are:
>
> 1. libhdf5-serial
> 2. netcdf-dev
> 3. netcdf-bin
> 4. netcdf-dbg
> 5. netcdf-doc
> 6. ncview

Only ncview is the name of a program that you would install in a bin directory.
All six of those are names of binary packages provided by package managers
(such as apt-get) for particular OS versions, such as Ubuntu or Debian. Unidata
doesn't create or maintain binary packages for specific OS versions (except for
Windows because it's tricky to build from source).

If you've already installed netCDF from source, you don't need netcdf-dev or
netcdf-bin, unless you want a more recent version than 4.1.3 (June 2011).
netcdf-dbg is just a file of debug symbols, netcdf-doc is just documentation,
ncview is a third-party visualization program we didn't develop, and
libhdf5-serial is just an HDF5 binary package built without parallel I/O
support.

> I've tried searching for information on these and I haven't had any luck.
> Do you know what I need to do to add them?

 If you need these, you'll have to get them from a package repository that's
for your particular OS version. For example, if you are running a recent
version of Ubuntu and want the latest version of netCDF (4.3.3), this would
be a repository you could use:

  https://launchpad.net/~nschloe/+archive/ubuntu/netcdf-nightly

--Russ

> Thank you.
> Sincerely,
> Yaprak Onat
> --
> University of Hawai'i at Manoa
> Ocean and Resources Engineering
> SNAME & MTS Student Section Chair
> Tel: +1 808 956 6101  Fax: +1 808 956 3498

Ticket ID: ZIU-420624
Department: Support netCDF