[netCDF #NRE-269426]: ncdump -x with netCDF4 files

Meg,

> Strange! That means our files are the netCDF-4 enhanced version, so I'm
> surprised anyone could get ncdump -x to work on them. I guess it will
> remain an unsolved mystery.

A possible explanation for the mystery is that your netCDF-4 files
really don't use any features of the enhanced model, but aren't
marked as netCDF-4 classic model files.  A netCDF-4 classic model
file is just a netCDF-4 file with a special scalar integer attribute
named "_nc3_strict" in the root group, which is tested to enforce
never adding any features of the enhanced netCCDF-4 data model to
the file, so that it will always be readable using the netCDF-3 API.

Back in version 4.1.1, I don't think ncdump tested the file type, it
just printed whatever it could see through the API and displayed it
as NcML when the "-x" flag was used. But the ncdump code was never
modified to present the NcML representations for any of the netCDF-4
enhanced model features, partly because those representations were
still under development when netCDF 4.1.1 was released.

If your current netCDF files are really netCDF-4 files that don't
use any enhanced data model features, then you could mark them as
netCDF-4 classic model files using the "nccopy" utility:

  nccopy -k "netCDF-4 classic model" foo4.nc foo4c.nc

to convert a netCDF-4 file to a netCDF-4 classic model file. That
would add the extra attribute (invisible through the netCDF API).
You could also do the same thing through the HDF5 API, which would
permit adding the attribute and overwriting files, which nccopy
doesn't permit.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NRE-269426
Department: Support netCDF