[THREDDS #BGI-378317]: flatten data in NcML

Hi Fan,

The "orgName" renaming is the closest thing currently available in NcML.
Unfortunately, as you mention, it doesn't work across groups.

We have a few issues in our bug tracking system [1] dealing with NcML (e.g.,
[2] is somewhat related). Unfortunately, we haven't been able to work much on
these types of NcML capabilities in the last few years. I have added another
issue for the cross-group moving/renaming capability you mention [3]. (You can
sign up to "watch" either of these issues if you are interested in following
any activities.) If you have other feature suggestions for NcML capabilities,
please let us know.

Sorry not to have a better answer for you.

Ethan

[1] https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/

[2] https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/TDS-361

[3] https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/TDS-613

Fan Fang wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am wondering if the NcML schema allows for flattening group
> structures, like those in HDF or netCDF4 data.  This is for our data
> service in TDS with NcML's help reshaping existing data structures.
>
> Essentially I am thinking to transfer values of an existing variable
> within groups to a new variable that does not belong to any group.  I
> know of <remove> of groups and variables, etc. but the transfer has to
> be done before the removal (right?).  Renaming via attribute "orgName"
> seems to work within groups only.  I learned that <explicit/> element to
> be a possibility but not sure how I shall use it along with removal of
> groups/variables and keeping a variable, or if TDS would acknowledge it.
>
> Thank for help.
>
> -Fan

Ticket ID: BGI-378317
Department: Support THREDDS