[netCDF #CIN-680448]: NetCDF-C Build Issue.

Hello Nathan,

You will want to use CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS to specify the location of the hdf5
headers and library, e.g.,

$ CPPFLAGS="-I/custom/loc/include" LDFLAGS="-L/custom/loc/lib" ./configure
--prefix=$prefix/deps/netcdf-4.3.2.

This will tell configure which directories to look in when looking for hdf5.h
and libhdf5.

As a side note, I see in your example below you are using hdf5-1.8.6; netcdf-c
currently has a minimum requirement of hdf5-1.8.9, so this would also cause
problems.

Please let me know if this doesn't solve the issue; have a great day,

-Ward

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to build the latest stable release of the NetCDF-C library
> that I downloaded from here:
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.3.2.tar.gz
>
> But I am unable to determine how to specify the location of the hdf5
> library in the configuration step.
>
> I would have expected that this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=$prefix/deps/netcdf-4.3.2
> --with-hdf5=$prefix/deps/hdf5-1.8.6
>
> Would have worked but the configure script doesn't know that switch. As
> far as I can tell the production rules require that HDF5 and NetCDF be
> built with the same --prefix value, as ./configure --help does not
> provide any options that would allow otherwise.
>
> Is that really the case?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nathan
>

> = = =
> Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
> OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317

Ticket ID: CIN-680448
Department: Support netCDF