[netCDF #EHB-236121]: netcdf and Godiva2

Hi Cecelia,

> I have converted my grib-files to netcdf to make it easier to share the
> data with others. I want to use Godiva2 to visualize (and opendap to
> cutout and make ascii-files) but it seems that I do not have information
> enough for Godiva in my files. Is it possible to find a description
> about essential metadata and data in the netcdf for Godiva2?

Adding to Ward's answer, I know a little more about ncWMS, which is needed
for Godiva2 but distributed with Unidata THREDDS software.

ncWMS requires that the data be a grid, and more specifically that it
conform to the CF Metadata Conventions for gridded data, to specify
how the coordinate system and projection information are represented.
This is primarily done with a few standard attributes added to grid
variables.

A lot of this is handled by netCDF-Java, which provides a Common Data
Model (CDM) for capturing coordinate system metadata.  In fact, if you
read GRIB data using netCDF-Java, it converts it to data that conforms
to the CDM on the fly, with the necessary CF attributes added, so that
ncWMS and Godiva2 can display it.

You can also use NcML (netCDF Markup language) to add missing attributes
to netCDF data to make it appear to conform to conventions, without
changing the original non-conforming data.  NcML is supported by
netCDF-Java, and can be used to decorate local data, without first
putting it on a THREDDS server.  The netCDF C library has no support
for NcML.

Finally, another tool that may be useful is ToolsUI, a Java program
associated with netCDF-Java and THREDDS that checks conformity with
the requirements of the Common Data Model to tell you what's missing
to represent the coordinate systems for your data.

--Russ

Ticket ID: EHB-236121
Department: Support netCDF