[netCDF #TWB-226522]: Your crazy and unuseable netcdf-software

Hi Thomas,

> you must be crazy creating such a software tool for the common use of
> normal researchers:
>
> "ncdump   [-chistxw]  [-v  var1,...]  [-b lang]  [-f lang]
> [-l  len]  [-n  name]  [-p n[,n]]  [-g  grp1,...]  file
>

> ncdump    -k file
>
> This is a software of the dark mid age computing!
>
> Sorry, but this has to be said.
>
> Make it better and give better understandable instructions.

The ncdump command-line utiilty is a simple command-line client for the netCDF
C library.
The library and its associated data model and format are where most of the
development
effort goes. It looks like you're trying to understand netCDF by reading the
reference
documentation for ncdump, which is not the recommended way to find out about how
to use the library, utilities, or software built on top of netCDF.

Here's some material on the ncdump and ncgen utilities in a more understandable
form
than the reference documentation:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/workshops/2012/utilities/

See especially the examples of use and the subsequent examples of how ncdump
and ncgen
can be used together to accomplish many simple data management tasks without
writing
programs that call the netCDF library:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/workshops/2012/utilities/NcdumpExamples.html

If you want software for analysis and visualization of netCDF data, you'll have
to use
something more than ncdump!  Here are descriptions and links for over 80 freely
available software packages and over 20 commercial packages for manipulating,
analyzing,
and visualizing netCDF data:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/software.html

If you want to help make the software better, source code for the library and
utilities are
freely available on GitHub. We welcome contributions from the open source
community ...

Ticket ID: TWB-226522
Department: Support netCDF