[THREDDS #KCM-168963]: Grib2 Table updates

Hi Bob et al:

Im reviewing the situation with FIM GRIB tables. The table you sent (attached)
has multiple entries for the same iparm. Its not clear how to map these to
either GRIB-1 or GRIB-2. Perhaps you can get us correct mappings, for example
in the format WMO or NCEP publishes their GRIB-2 tables. For now, I am
disabling any FIM support in the CDM.

John

> FIM is farther away from operational implementation at NCEP, and hasn't had
> much outside scrutiny until now.  (And, FIM scrutiny will really be ramping
> up this year, as there is a new, large activity in GSD involving FIM.)
> Also, FIM postprocessing generates GRIB1 natively. A separate step uses
> NCEP's 'cnvgrib' to produce GRIB2 from the GRIB1. Ultimately, I'm hoping
> that they will be able to carve out some resources to change over to
> creating GRIB2 directly. But, that's not on the immediate horizon.  So, the
> GRIB1 gribtable file that I provided is all that I am aware of for FIM.
> Conversions to GRIB2 parameters are built into the 'cnvgrib' package.
>
> I do think your last statement about using NCEP tables as a backup for FSL
> is generally valid... or at least should be the case.  In speaking with
> modelers, they naturally treat GRIB tables as an afterthought relative to
> actually generating decent model results.  On the other hand, they are also
> usually amenable to employing best practices if they know what they are.
>
> So, if you have any recommendations for what we should be doing differently
> or better, please let us know.
>
> -Bob

Ticket ID: KCM-168963
Department: Support THREDDS