[netCDF #KVZ-698911]: Netcdf-cxx4 install with parallel I/O

Hi Ruth,

> I'm trying to install hdf5, netcdf-c and netcdf-cxx4 with parallel I/O, and
> have run into trouble with the netcdfcpp configure.

I don't think we've ever tested the netcdf-cxx4 API with parallel I/O.  All our
parallel tests, as far as I know, have been with the C or Fortran APIs.  We've
just used g++ for the C++ tests, and it knows nothing about parallel I/O.

I just tried building and installing netcdf-cxx4-4.2.1 without --enable-parallel
and it worked fine, but when I added --enable-parallel and prefixed the
configure
invocation with CC=mpicc CXX=mpicxx, I got

  ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libopa.so.1: cannot open

while configure was "checking whether we are cross compiling", so I don't think
I even got as far as you did!  I'll have to investigate this further, unless
you happen to know what libopa is for, my google search didn't help much.

The bottom line is that in using netcdf-cxx4 with parallel I/O, you're
probably in uncharted territoty, especially since netcdf-cxx4 was contributed
by a third party (Lynton Appel) and we don't have a parallel I/O expert
at Unidata currently ...

--Russ

> Versions
> Fedora 20
> OpenMPI 1.7.3-1.fc20
> HDF5 1.8.13
> NetCDF 4.3.3-rc1
> NetCDF-cxx4 4.2.1
>
> The configure options I used are:
>
> hdf5
> CC=/usr/lib64/openmpi/bin/mpicc ./configure --enable-parallel
>
> netcdf
> H5DIR=/home/vagrant/hdf5-1.8.13/hdf5 CPPFLAGS="-I$H5DIR/include"
> CC=/usr/lib64/openmpi/bin/mpicc LDFLAGS=-L$H5DIR/lib LIBS=-ldl ./configure
> --disable-shared --enable-parallel-tests
>
> Up to this point, everything is fine - the test programs run with no
> complaints.
>
> When I attempt to configure netcdf-cxx, it returns
> configure: error: NetCDF must be built with netCDF-4 enabled.
> directly after the test for nc_use_parallel_enabled.
>
> I have tried a variety of options, including reconfiguring netcdf-c with
> the --enable-netcdf-4 flag (which I thought was obsolete) and specifying
> netcdf library and include directories (default, so under /usr/local/). Do
> you have any suggestions on what to try?
>
> I apologize if this problem was answered somewhere already, but the closest
> match I could find is
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg11367.html,
> and that doesn't resolve my problem.
>
> Let me know if you would like more information.
>
> Thank you,
> Ruth Rutter

Ticket ID: KVZ-698911
Department: Support netCDF