[netCDF #YYO-369400]: netcdf-fortran-4.4.0 installation error

Hi Sang-Mi,

> I encountered errors while installing netcdf-fortran-4.4.0 using intel
> compilers (ifort and icc) on RedHat Linux Os version 5.9. The errors I have
> appeared in both './configure' and 'make install'.  The first stage is
> re-directed in 'config.log' in which it complained as below:

> icc: warning #10237: -lcilkrts linked in dynamically, static library not
> available
>
> configure:4978: checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler
> configure:4991: ifort -c   conftest.F >&5
> conftest.F(3): error #5082: Syntax error, found END-OF-STATEMENT when
> expecting one of: ( % [ : . = =>
> choke me
> ---------------^
> conftest.F(3): error #6218: This statement is positioned incorrectly and/or
> has syntax errors.
> choke me
> ---------------^
> compilation aborted for conftest.F (code 1)
> configure:4991: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> |       program main
> | #ifndef __GNUC__
> |        choke me
> | #endif
> |
> |       end

The above is not a symptom of a problem when you are using ifort.  It is
expected
when running configure, as part of determining that the Fortran compiler is not
gfortran.

> The second step, 'make check' yielded the following errors:
>
> [IRIS8]/pln1/local/netcdf-fortran-4.4.0> make check
> Making check in fortran
> make[1]: Entering directory `/pln1/local/netcdf-fortran-4.4.0/fortran'
> ifort  -g -c -o netcdf.o  netcdf.f90
> netcdf_overloads.f90(9): error #7950: Procedure name in MODULE PROCEDURE
> statement must be the name of accessible module procedure.
> [NF90_DEF_VAR_FILL_ONEBYTEINT]
> module procedure nf90_def_var_fill_OneByteInt,   &
> ---------------------^
> netcdf_overloads.f90(10): error #7950: Procedure name in MODULE PROCEDURE
> statement must be the name of accessible module procedure.
> [NF90_DEF_VAR_FILL_TWOBYTEINT]
> nf90_def_var_fill_TwoByteInt,   &
> ---------------------^
> netcdf_overloads.f90(11): error #7950: Procedure name in MODULE PROCEDURE
> statement must be the name of accessible module procedure.
> [NF90_DEF_VAR_FILL_FOURBYTEINT]
> nf90_def_var_fill_FourByteInt,  &
> ---------------------^

From the config.log, I see the version of ifort is:

   configure:4958: ifort --version >&5
   ifort (IFORT) 14.0.2 20140120

This is a recent enough version that I would expect it would support the
overloading that's happening in the netcdf_overloads.f90 statments
where it's getting errors.  The config.log also shows your ifort supports
Fortran 2008 ISO_FORTRAN_ENV additions, but not the TS29113 standard
extension.

We didn't test this release with ifort at Unidata.  We do have access
to an Intel Fortran development environment on a remote platform
where we may be able to reproduce the problem, but that will take some
time.  In the meantime, I'm also forwarding this question to the developer,
Richard Weed, who tests on Intel Fortran as well as gfortran, in case he
has time to diagnose the problem ...

Richard, I've made the config.log and make.check.log available here, in
case you need them:

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp7-lBkQPZ5a1o3bl9rdVE5Nm8/edit?usp=sharing
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp7-lBkQPZ5ZEt5RkkwTjFtVDA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--Russ

> Logs files from the two steps are attached.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sang-Mi Lee, Ph.D.
> Program Supervisor - Air Quality Modeling
> South Coast Air Quality Management District
> Phone: 909-396-3169
> Fax: 909-396-3252

Ticket ID: YYO-369400
Department: Support netCDF