[netCDF #TFE-190602]: NetCDF Install

If I may chime in; I'm developing on OSX as well, and I have found that
the version of hdf5 that is provided by OSX-specific package management
systems (homebrew, macports, fink) would often not work with netcdf very
well.  Best to play it safe and build hdf5 by hand on the target machine
as well.

-Ward

On 5/9/14, 12:20 PM, Russ Rew wrote:
> New Staff Reply: NetCDF Install
>
> Hi Dan,
>
>> I am a systems administrator for CISL and I have a request to install
>> NetCDF.  Can you point me to the instructions for general installs on a
>> Mac?  Are there any special instructions for after building such as
>> adding something to the environment path?
> Installing the netCDF-C library works the same on OSX as any other platform.
> You can use either the configure script or cmake:
>
>    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html
>
> You have to install HDF5 first.
>
> Installing netCDF-Fortran on OSX is a little trickier, because the OSX
> developer tools don't come with a Fortran compiler, so you have to first
> install one comaptible with the C compiler you'll be using.  If you use
> MacPorts, I think you can just use "port netcdf-fortran" and it will
> handle all the dependencies.  Some people have also reported success with
> HomeBrew.  For building netCDF-Fortran from source yourself, follow these
> instructions:
>
>    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building_netcdf_fortran.html
>
> They mention using DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH for OSX
> builds.
>
> --Russ
>
>> --
>> Dan Rosen
>> Computational & Information Systems Laboratory - WSST
>> The National Center for Atmospheric Research
>> 303.497.2003
>>
>> Schedule Spring 2014
>> Monday: 8am-2pm
>> Wednesday: 8am -2pm
>> Friday: 8am - 5pm
>>

> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: TFE-190602
> Department: Support netCDF