[netCDF #EJA-190555]: netcdf42-fortran: netcdf.h for fortran not found by configure (= a script glitch?) (fwd)

Hi Peter,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your last set of comments and
questions.
Since then, I've reactivated my yellowstone login at NCAR, so I now have access
Intel C, Fortran, and C++ compilers for testing.  I also got the scripts that
CISL uses
to build and install netCDF C and Fortran libraries using Intel, GNU,
Pathscale, and
PGI compilers.  I've attached those two scripts, in case you're interested.  I
also
adapted them to test building with Intel compilers, which worked in a
straightforward
way, with no modifications required to our netCDF configure scripts.

> To the Email from yesterday one short addendum, idea from this morning
> (to avoid gfortran to creep in, not yet tested):

I think all that's required to make sure you use only Intel compilers (if that
is your
preference) is to set the environment variables CC and FC to the desired
compiler
names before running the configure script, and make sure your PATH is set so
that
those compilers are found by the configure script, rather than gcc and gfortran.

For example, this worked fine for me on CISL's yellowstone platform for the C
and Fortran builds using icc and ifort (both versions 12.1.5):

  # First build and install the netCDF C library, version 4.3.1.1
  cd ~/netcdf-4.3.1.1
  export CC=icc
  export FC=ifort
  H5DIR=/glade/apps/opt/hdf5/1.8.12/intel/12.1.5
  export CPPFLAGS="-I${H5DIR}/include"
  export LDFLAGS="-L${H5DIR}/lib"
  NCDIR=/where/you/want/to/install/netcdf-C
  ./configure --prefix=${NCDIR} --disable-dap-remote-tests
  make check
  make install

  # Next, build and install the netCDF Fortran library, version 4.2
  cd ~/netcdf-4.2
  export CPPFLAGS="-I${NCDIR}/include"
  export LDFLAGS="-L${NCDIR}/lib"
  NFDIR=/where/you/want/to/install/netcdf-Fortran  # could be the same as $NCDIR
  ./configure --prefix=${NFDIR}
  make check
  make install

I tested the above with both the current releases of netCDF C (version 4.3.1.1)
and
netCDF Fortran (version 4.2), as well as the development releases (netCDF-C
version
4.3.2rc3 and netCDF-Fortran version 4.4.0-rc1, both available on GitHub).

So, our configure scripts seem to work with GNU, Intel, PGI, and Pathscale
compilers
on Linux, OSX, Solaris, and other platforms that we've tested on.  If following
the
above doesn't work for you, please send us the details.

--Russ

Ticket ID: EJA-190555
Department: Support netCDF