[netCDF #ZUW-612102]: Reg: How to modify netCDF data on windows

Hi Rekha,

> I have installed the libraries and utilities needed to work with netCDF
> files on windows and I am able to see the contents of my netCDF file in
> command prompt. I just wanted to know whether there is any mechanism by
> which I could modify the .nc file on windows? I have a very small .nc file
> in which I would like to add some data.

One way to modify small files is to use the "ncdump" and "ncgen"
utility programs that come with the netCDF library software.

You run "ncdump file.nc > file.cdl" on your input netCDF file.nc to
produce an equivalent text file, file.cdl.

Then you edit the text file in whatever text editor you use, to create
newfile.cdl.

Then you run "ncgen -o newfile.nc newfile.cdl" to produce the new
netCDF file corresponding to the edits you made.

Here's some slides from a netCDF workshop providing more details:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/workshops/2012/utilities/NcgenNcdump.html

There are also other programs that can be used to edit netCDF files
through a graphical user interface, but they are not all available
for Windows, so you might have to try to build them from source:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/software.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: ZUW-612102
Department: Support netCDF