[netCDF #TTS-561802]: Binary and CDF files - Matlab

Hi Jailson,

> Thank you for your support.
> Actually, first of all I have to convert a binary file (.bin) to .cdf. If I
> get it I will be able to use the Malab, but I have no idea how can I do
> this conversion.
> This .bin file was obtained from an Agilent instrument (Gas Chromatograph
> coupled to Mass Spectrometer).

NetCDF was the vehicle adopted by the Analytical Instrument Association [AIA]
to implement the Analytical Data Interchange Protocols [Andi Protocols] for
chromatography [released in 1992] and mass spectrometry [released in 1994].  If
your instrument used those standards, your .bin file may already be in
netCDF classic format.

Further development related to these standards now seems to be under the
purview
of an ASTM subcommittee E13.15 on analytical Data Management, at the Source
Forge
site http://andi.sourceforge.net/.

At Unidata, we develop, support, and maintain netCDF for the Earth Sciences, but
have no knowledge of or experience with its use in chromatography or mass
spectrometry.  So if the .bin file is not actually a .nc file (which is the
conventional extension for netCDF files to avoid confusion with the NASA CDF
format that uses a .cdf extension), we could not help convert it.

If you don't know how to determine if your .bin file is a netCDF file, check
the answer to this FAQ:

  How can I tell which format a netCDF file uses?
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv1_5

--Russ

> address@hidden>:
>
> > Hello Jailson,
> >
> > I'm afraid that we don't have any expertise with Matlab or the
> > bioinformatics toolbox they provide.  There are a number of command-line
> > tools for converting netcdf formatted files, but I'm afraid I'm not sure
> > what format a '.bin' file would be in.  If you can provide more
> > information about the file you are converting from I might be able to
> > suggest the appropriate tool.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > -Ward
> >
> > On 3/5/14, 11:10 AM, Jailson Cardoso Dias wrote:
> > > New Ticket: Binary and CDF files - Matlab
> > >
> > > Dear Sir/Madam
> > >
> > > I have a question about the CDF files.
> > >
> > > I have a file in the .bin format and I need to convert it to CDF to open
> > it
> > > in the Matlab using a bionformatic toolbox. So, I would like to know how
> > > can I proceed.
> > >
> > > I am a basic user of the Matlab, please, could you help me?
> > >
> > > Thank you for your attentio.
> > >
> > > I look forward to hear from you.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Jailson C Dias