[netCDF #PWT-334145]: Error while compiling wgrib2

Hi Frank,

> I attempted to compile wgrib2 on my personal laptop running Ubuntu 13.10
> and received errors. I am passing them along to you to let you know of
> the problem I'm having and hopefully you can give me a hand in getting
> this to compile correctly. Here are the error messages:

> 1 of 5 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/frank/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/frank/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/frank/Downloads/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3'
> make: *** [/home/frank/Downloads/grib2/lib/libnetcdf.a] Error 2
>
> Scrolling back a little further, here is more of the output from make that is
> very cryptic to me (I'm certainly no programmer) but seeing the word
> "FAILURE" in there many times tells me that you might find it helpful.
>
> PASS: tst_small
> Testing 2 different netCDF formats.
> *** Testing nc_put_var_float ...
> FAILURE at line 2855 of test_put.c: NetCDF: Numeric conversion not
> representable
> FAILURE at line 2902 of test_put.c: NetCDF: Numeric conversion not
> representable

> If you find my hardware information helpful, the computer is a Dell E6500
> laptop with an Intel Core2 2.8 GHz processor with 4 GiB of memory and an
> nVidia Quadro NVS 160M GPU.
>
> There should be nothing fancy about my Ubuntu 13.10 installation ... I let
> the installer run with all the default options. It's a nearly completely
> fresh installation, only Firefox, Chrome, Dropbox and the Litecoin-QT wallet
> software have been installed ... and, of course, GrADS 2.1.

The only similar error I've seen was related to some over-aggressive
compiler optimization flags that didn't preserve standard behavior
when dealing with floating point numbers representing Nan's and
infinities:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#sunstud12_2

If you really need this version built from source, could you
please send us the config.log generated by the configure script
when building?

The netCDF-3.6.3 version (from 2008) is so old that we can't easily
support it anymore.  Have you considered trying to build a newer
version, such as netCDF-4.3.0?  You can specify --disable-netcdf-4
when you build it, if you only need to deal with netCDF-3 data and
functions.

Finally, instead of building from source, you can get a binary netCDF
package already compiled and built from

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/lucid/netcdf  (version 3.6.3)

or

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/precise/netcdf  (version 4.1.1)