Re: Urgent Question about NetCDF

Hello again, Dick:

From the information in your note, it is not clear what is needed to speed up your processing of those ~2000 daily netCDF files.   However, since that naar library page was published a couple years ago, Unidata has developed Windows-specific netCDF binary libraries that are available at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/winbin.html

We can't say for sure that these libraries will speed up your processing, but they are probably much more up to date than the ones you are using so it is a place to start.

There are other ideas for aggregating the 2000 files into a single logical dataset via a THREDDS server or using the netCDF Java library for aggregation.   Another thought is to concatenate the files into one physical file using the NetCDF Operators.   But more information is needed -- especially about where the bottlenecks are -- to gain a sense of whether that sort of approach would speed things up or not.

If you have any questions about the Windows netCDF binaries available at the URL cited above, please contact Ward Fisher.   I'll send Ward a copy of this note and I'll send a copy to support-netcdf so this interaction gets into our support database.

I hope this helps.   Good luck and we'll see you soon.

--  Ben