[netCDF #XXI-796914]: Netcdf C library DAP error with version 4.3.*

I am answering this question for Ward because
I am the opendap person here at Unidata.

In any case, the problem is that the columbia
server is known to produce incorrect DAP2 responses.
That is what is happening here.

If you paste the following URLs in your
web browser, you can see the problem.

First, ask for the full DDS:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.Models/.NMME/.NASA-GMAO/.MONTHLY/.sst/dods.dds

You will see that the Dataset {...} is named MONTHLY.

Next, ask for a subset of the DDS:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.Models/.NMME/.NASA-GMAO/.MONTHLY/.sst/dods.dds?M,Y,L,X,S

You will see that the name of the Dataset{...} has been changed to sst.
This is incorrect and causes netcdf to produce an error. There are other
known problems with the Columbia server, so introducing a hack to get
around this probably will just make you run up against other problems.
I will try to add such a hack, but it won't happen soon.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata