[netCDF #ISB-918823]: Building netCDF from trunk with parallel I/O support fails

Hi Stefan,

> > > 4. The actual build process starts:
> > --prefix=/opt/netcdf

Although our "make -j" used to work with our Makefiles, that broke
recently, for some reason I could never determine.  So although it
takes longer, I'd suggest not using parallel make.  I'm not sure
that's a cause for some of the problems you're seeing, but I've seen
similar symptoms with "make -j", so just use "make".

> > > Oh no:
> > > Well, this seems to be about DAP. Actually, curl is not installed so why
> > > should dap tests run? Lets simply try again with:
> > --prefix=/opt/netcdf
> > > Whoo, all tests passed, even all the parallel tests run through.
> > That is very good news, although I am puzzled by the lack of t_dap.c.
> > Following your steps so far (with the exception of running autoreconf
> > instead of the libtoolize command) and I did not encounter a missing
> > t_dap.c.
> >
> That DAP thing seems to be not a big deal. Just wanted to let you know. As
> mentioned above, on OpenSUSE it works and with the --disable-dap it works
> on Ubuntu, too. This might be due to some missing dependencies.
>

> > > 5. So far so good. NetCDF-fortran is needed as well
> > --add-missing
> > LDFLAGS=-L/opt/netcdf/lib ../configure --enable-parallel-tests
> > --prefix=/opt/netcdf
> > > Oh no, just a ton of errors:
> > -I/opt/netcdf/include  -g -O2 -c -o module_netcdf_nc_data.o
> > ../../fortran/module_netcdf_nc_data.F90
> >  ../../fortran/module_netcdf_nc_interfaces.f90
> > > Well, all those lines should begin with:
> > > Something went wrong with the FC variable. If I am using
> > > instead it works. The issue with that is, that I can not specify an
> > > non-system compiler.
> > Ok, I am not a fortran developer, but Russ is out of the office today;
> > let me provide what help I can.
> >
> All right, I am on hold. Lets see what Russ says.
> Anyways, here is a little more information. Maybe you want to forward this
> to Russ.

I'll try to see if I can reproduce your other symptoms.  Sending us the
Makefile doesn't help, and your config.log just indicates that the configure
script worked OK, but it might help to see the output from "make", at least
up to the point where there are lots of errors.

--Russ

Ticket ID: ISB-918823
Department: Support netCDF