[netCDF #QUX-500313]: netcdf installation

Hi Ravi,

> I have a old netcdf 2.7 version and want to upgrade it to new
> version 4.3 for WRF 3.5 i have downloaded the file but don't know the
> installation. Kindly help me for the same.

For WRF, I assume you need the netCDF Fortran library, which depends on
the netCDF C library.  These are now separate distributions, so you need
to first build and install the netCDF C library (version 4.3.0 is the
latest released version, though there is a newer 4.3.1-rc1 release
candidate).  Instructions for building the netCDF C library depend on
what you need, and the options are discussed here (the page says version
4.3.1-rc1, but I think the instructions work for the 4.3.0 release):

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

After the C library is successfully installed, you should use the
netcdf-fortran-4.2 release, telling it where the netCDF C library
was installed, according to these instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

As discussed here, you can also get an already-built netCDF library
from one of the package management systems, which is usually an easier
alternative than building from source:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/getting.html

--Russ

> thanks and regards
>
> Ravi Waghmare
>
> Scientific Assistant
> Instrumentation & Observational Techniques Division
> Cloud Dynamics Group
> Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology.
> Pashan, Pune 411008.

Ticket ID: QUX-500313
Department: Support netCDF