[netCDF #NRW-974703]: invalid HDF5 variable size prevents reading range in Java

The problem is that this is not a top level Variable, but a member of a
Structure.

   * If the Variable is a member of an array of Structures, this returns only
the variable's data
   * in the first Structure, so that the Array shape is the same as the
Variable.
   * To read the data in all structures, use ncfile.readSection().

John

> > In an ideal world, because NetCDF already supports several formats,
> > NetCDF would allow a user to plug in some other format implementation.
> > But it doesn't---rather than dividing the API into "interface" and
> > "implementation" parts with componentized strategies, it hard-codes
> > support for its various formats (including HDF5) into the library
> > itself, precluding extension to new format types.
>
> Hi Garret:
>
> netcdf-java supports the IOSP plug-in layer. The docs suck of course, but
> heres what we have:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/tutorial/index.html
>
> the IOSP plug-ins may make a quick API change not easy, since they all have
> to support the change, and Im not sure if you understand the implications
> yet. but we are certainly happy to have your help.
>
> Being grumpy with open source software is, um, counterproductive. You can
> insist on your POV in calling things a bug, but then you may get a less than
> enthusiastic reception from those who disagree. I dont know if your client is
> part of the NSF earth science community that funds us, and we have a lot of
> things on our plate. If the "workaround" works it may not be worth the time
> to munge a complex piece of code.
>
> anyway, i will read the rest of your email later and see if i agree with you
> or not.
>
> John

Ticket ID: NRW-974703
Department: Support netCDF Java