[netCDF #MEV-199288]: netcdf installation problems

Hi James,

> I am James wanjohi from Kenya and I am trying to install netcdf
> libraries in my i386 computer, Toshiba Satellite c600, 2gb ram, 2 cores
> and 933 MHz processor, and where I have also installed NCL, GrADs and
> fortran. On the same computer, I am also trying to install the wrf model
> because I am masters student who finished with my studies but without
> any job and am trying to publish some papers. My main study area is on
> clouds in China.
>
> I have attached two log files from netcdf and Wrf failed
> installations. Would you tell me what is wrong?

You may have to ask the WRF support email for help with their software, but
I can provide support for installing netCDF.

In the config.log file you attached, I see the following lines:

  configure:3929: checking for gcc
  configure:3956: result: xlc
  configure:4185: checking for C compiler version
  configure:4194: xlc --version >&5
  ./configure: line 4196: xlc: command not found
  configure:4225: checking whether the C compiler works
  configure:4247: xlc    conftest.c  >&5
  ./configure: line 4249: xlc: command not found

  ## ---------------- ##
  ## Cache variables. ##
  ## ---------------- ##
  ac_cv_env_CC_value=xlc
  ## ----------------- ##
  ## Output variables. ##
  ## ----------------- ##
  CC='xlc'

So evidently you have set the "CC" environment variable to "xlc", but you
don't have xlc on your PATH anywhere, so either it's not installed on your
system or you have named the wrong C compiler.

For building netCDF, gcc should work fine, and the configure script should
be able to find it if it's installed in one of the directories on your PATH,
so you could just unset the CC environment variable and try running the
configure script again.

Also, since WRF doesn't require netCDF-4 files, I'd suggest you install the
netCDF libraries using the --disable-netcdf-4 option, because then you won't
have to install the HDF5 libraries first.  The instructions are here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/build_classic.html

After you have installed the netcdf C library, you'll also need to install
the netCDF Fortran library, telling it's configure script where to find the
netCDF C library.  Instructions are here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

where you should be able to ignore references to the HDF5 libraries, since
those aren't needed for WRF, as far as I know.

By the way, the only problem I see with the WRF install is that it couldn't
find an installed netCDF Fortran library, so if you get that done successfully,
the WRF installation should go better ...

--Russ

> Sincerely,
>
> James
>
> Nyaga James Wanjohi.
> Masters Graduate Student.
> College of International Education
> Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology
> Nairobi Province, Nairobi, Kenya.
> Phone Number: +254 700 847 535.

Ticket ID: MEV-199288
Department: Support netCDF