[netCDF #INK-865870]: Quick question about NetCDF library v4.1.1 and RH 6.3

Fernando,

> Thank you very much for your emails.
>
> IDL has wrappers that use the API of the NetCDF 4.1.1 libraries, and when the
> customer uses the IDL routine that creates NetCDF files gets the following
> errors from IDL:
>
> 'NCDF_CLOSE: Operation Failed.'
>
> and
>
> 'NCDF_CONTROL: Attempt to take the file out of define mode (ENDEF) failed.
> (NC_ERROR=-31)'
>
> though, only the (NC_ERROR=-31) is directly from  your library, correct?

Right, the -31 is NC_SYSERR, as defined in netcdf.h, which means the netCDF
library got a system
error when calling a function such as fclose().  The global integer errno
should be set to a system
error code that indicated something more specific than "operation failed", and
if IDL had called
nc_strerror, to convert the error code into a string, it should have provided
the more specific
message.  Typically, calling close with a bad file descriptor or having an
uncommitted write
encounter an I/O error are the kinds of things that can cause close to fail.

> The key issue here is that it only happens in their version of Red Hat 6.3,
> and does not happen in other flavors of Linux. And not just any version of RH
> 6.3, but that with the kernel version that I sent you in my previous email. I
> have tested his code with a "vanilla" version of RedHat 6.3 and I was not
> able to reproduce the problem!.

That's strange, we haven't seen anything like that.

> That's why I was wondering if there was a know issue with that particular
> kernel in RH.

Nope.

> I will pass on to my customer your comments and see if he can understand what
> was updated in his system or try to debug the issue from inside IDL.
>
> Thanks again for your help. If you don't mind, if the customer has another
> questoin related with NetCDF libraries, may I ask you again?

Sure, feel free to send any questions to address@hidden.

--Russ

> Cheers!
> Fernando