[netCDF #NTL-246975]: 'lib' directory not found in netCDF-4.3.0 'C' install

Hi Ravi,

> I installed netCDF  'C' library  and I do not see a 'lib' directory in the
> install. Instead, I see several directories that are:
> ********
> [ruk15@lionxf netcdf-4.3.0]$ ls lib*
> libcdmr/      libdispatch/  liblib/       libsrc/       libtool
> libdap2/      lib_flags.am  librpc/       libsrc4/
> [ruk15@lionxf netcdf-4.3.0]$
> *********
>
> I need 'lib' directory to set the ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}  variable so that I can
> install netCDF Fortran. So can you tell me why there is no 'lib' directory in
> the installation for C?

What you're looking at is not a binary installation, but a source distribution
of
the netCDF C library, version 4.3.0.  In order to convert that into an
installation,
you have to configure it, specifying where it should be installed, then build
it with
a C compiler, then install it, as described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

After the C library is installed, you can install netCDF Fortran by following
these
instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

If instead you want a binary installation, they're available for some platforms
through package management systems such as dpkg, yum, macports, etc.

--Russ

Ticket ID: NTL-246975
Department: Support netCDF