[netCDF #MCR-425248]: Question on netCDF versions available for download

Hi Dierdre,

> I'm with RAL IT and have some questions about the netCDF versions
> available on your download website.
>
> - We installed v4.2.1.1 a few months ago and just noticed that 4.2.x
> has disappeared from your download website but v4.1.x, v4.0.x, and
> lower are available. Is there a reason that v4.2.x is no longer
> available? Should we be choosing between v4.1.x and v4.3.x?

All the 4.2.x versions of netCDF C libraries are available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/

It's a bug that these aren't also available via our download site; they should
be.
Thanks for reporting the problem!  We'll fix it when we determine how it
happened.

> - I've heard of changes in v4.3 that impact grib data fields, is that
> true?

The netCDF C-based  libraries don't deal with GRIB in any way.  The netCDF-Java
libraries support the Unidata Common Data Model, which provides a netCDF-like
API to GRIB data, and that changed significantly with the release of
netCDF-Java 4.3.x.

--Russ

> -- Deirdre Garvey
> NCAR/RAL